Per-user versions of packages

It's me again, new thread.

We have each package getting installed in a pre-defined directory based
on the version information.  So it is very possible to have two versions
of the same application installed.  We also have per-user lists of
applications, which creates an interesting matrix of possibilities.
What I'm concerned about is whether they make sense for actual usage of
the system.

Is it reasonable to expect two users of the same device to want two
different versions of the same app installed?

Ted