Re: Fixing bugs in appstore/click

On 25/07/13 10:00, Michael Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Daniel Holbach
> <daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx>>
> wrote:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> in conversations we've had on the phone and elsewhere I get the
> feeling that we're slowly getting to the point where it's less
> about creating new functionality and writing new features but
> fixing bugs and solving integration issues.
>
> Because our project is spread across so many teams and individual
> Launchpad projects, it'd be great if we had one overview of the
> biggest blockers somewhere.
>
> I talked to Michael Nelson about this and see three options:
>
> 1. Launchpad meta-project ---------------------- We create a
> Launchpad meta-project and add bug tasks for all the bugs we want
> tracked.
>
> (Dis)advantages: + One place to look at. + We can use milestones
> easily. - Busy-work as we will have to create separate tasks for
> all bugs.
>
> 2. Launchpad tag ------------- We use one common tag for bugs we
> want tracked.
>
> (Dis)advantages: + Less busy-work. + One place to look at (eg:
> http://goo.gl/oWdLwp) - We can't use milestones easily, but could
> try to agree on bug importance as an indicator for when things are
> going to land.
>

> I like the launchpad tag across projects because it's simplest to
> use and see, but I'm not the one who's using the end-result - so
> take it with a grain of salt :)

I think I'm +1 on this, but then I've never really made use of the
milestones feature in Launchpad.  The important things for me are:

 - to be able to see all the bugs in one place.
 - to be able to filter on project.
 - to be able to sort by priority.

This gives me an overview of where we are on the whole, lets me see
any bugs in the other components that I need to be aware of, but also
lets me focus strictly on the ones I need to fix.  It seems like a
good balance.

JT
- --
James Tait, BSc. | https://launchpad.net/~jamestait/
Software Engineer, Canonical Online Services, Web and Ops Team
Ubuntu - Linux for human beings | www.ubuntu.com