Re: Click apps on Desktop [...] - Flavors

On 07/25/2013 10:45 AM, Simon wrote:
> How do we handle other desktop environments. Will I be able to install
> Click-Packages in Xfce / KDE / Gnome?
>
> Will I be able to run those installed Applications?
> If I'm able to run those applications, we need to support X.org. We also need to
> support Wayland in a (not so far away) future.
>
> If we cut those flavors out of the App-Ecosystem [ie. answer my first or 2nd
> question with "no"], how will we answer the user the question "Why can't I used
> a core feature of Ubuntu in his offical supported falvors?"
>

> I hope I didn't misinterpreted this thread. My interpretation is "Are we able to
> support X.org with click? - Eventually no, because X.org dosn't meet our desired
> security level."

That is not what I said.

What I am saying is that we need display server mediation so that people can run
the apps from the appstore safely and we should wait until it is in place. Mir
gives us that by design, X does not. There is a lot of work to do and we must
prioritize, and X is lower than other work because of Mir. AIUI, other desktop
environments can be made to work with Mir[1], so if they use Mir (or probably
Wayland), there is no problem.

If you or others would like to work on X mediation with AppArmor, please send an
email to the apparmor mailing list or talk to us on #apparmor on OFTC.

[1]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-June/037307.html