Re: click-desktop, upstart-app-launch-desktop and AppArmor

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
> On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 17:23 -0300, Alejandro J. Cura wrote:
>
> unity-scope-click will get a list of installed applications with
> "click list --manifest", and build uris for each scope result like:
> "application:///home/phablet/.local/share/applications/pkgid_appid_version.desktop"
>
>  I don't think that's needed.  We're already building the desktop files
> there with the desktop hook.  One of the reasons was for the application
> scope.
>

>  Some duplication may happen because unity-lens-applications will also
> be parsing the .desktop files in that same folder, so we are planning
> to de-duplicate using just one of the following:
>
>  * deduplicate on the dash, based on the application:// uri,
> priorizing results from u-s-click
>  * or, filter .desktop files on unity-lens-applications that have the
> "X-Ubuntu-Application-ID" field (meaning they are apps installed by
> click)
>
> we've not decided which method we'll use yet, so any comments are appreciated.
>

> I don't understand where the duplication comes from.  It seems like there
> should only be one entry in the user's applications directory for each
> installed application.

The duplication will come from both unity-lens-applications and
unity-click-scope returning results for installed click applications.

According to the designs, when the user long-taps an icon of an installed
click app, a dash preview will be shown with details of the app:
screenshots, description, rating, reviews. The user will also be able to
add a rating/review, and also will have buttons to launch, pin to launcher,
update and uninstall the app.

That preview is very similar to the one shown when tapping on an app
available for download, so it belongs in unity-scope-click (the only
difference is that the only available button is "Install"). And there's no
mechanism yet for opening a preview from results of a different scope, so
the results for click apps need to come from unity-scope-click.

When (If?) all apps installed in the phone image are click apps, then we
will not need to have unity-lens-applications show installed apps, but
until then some form of deduplication is needed.

cheers,
--
alecu