Re: Supporting newer frameworks

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 02.10.2013 17:02, Alejandro J. Cura wrote:
>> Today sergiusens brought up on irc the problem of filtering in the
>> current image post-13.10 apps that requiere newer frameworks.
>>
>> For that, dholbach suggested adding the versions supported to the
>> search query, as is currently supported in the spec[1]. For instance,
>> in two years we would be using a query like this:
>>
>> GET /api/v1/search?q=framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10,framework:ubuntu-sdk-14.04,framework:ubuntu-sdk-14.10,framework:ubuntu-sdk-15.04,framework:ubuntu-sdk-15.10,description:awesome
>> HTTP/1.1
>>
>> I was thinking of something like "max-framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10". But
>> that makes it harder to remove support for older versions, so I guess
>> adding all of them makes sense. Sergio also suggested adding ranges,
>> and that's something we can do further down the lane, without breaking
>> compatibility with the current image.
>>
>> So, the plan for 13.10 is just to have the click scope add
>> "framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10" to the current query.
>>
>> Please add your comments to this thread if you think we got some part
>> of it wrong, or are forgetting about something else.
>
> Did some conversation about this happen already elsewhere?

For 13.10, the scope is already sending a fixed string appended to the
query [1]: ",framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10"
With just this I think we've future proofed this release, because the
server can identify the capabilities of the devices with 13.10
installed, and filter newer apps requiring newer frameworks.

cheers,
--
alecu

PS: I've got a further branch to send the architecture[2] that's
pending on server fixes, but I think it's not critical, since we don't
really support touch 13.10 on other architectures, nor fat packages.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-scope-click/+bug/1234255
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-scope-click/+bug/1234437