Re: Supporting newer frameworks

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM, James Tait <james.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not to my knowledge.  It's a difficult problem - what we really want
> to do is have the client say "I support these versions of these
> frameworks" and have the server filter out apps that declare a
> dependency on unsupported frameworks.  This conversation gets complex
> very quickly though, so I'll try and demonstrate with an example:
>
> [...complex example...]
>
> but, yeah - it's a difficult problem, and one we need to get right. :)

I started thinking in James' direction, but now I think we should
approach this in a simpler way, without worrying about ranges.

I think the device should just list all the frameworks it has installed.

Why? Just like we do with LTSs and "intermediate" Ubuntu releases, I
think we'll end up supporting a finite number of frameworks in each
release, since "intermediate" frameworks will likely be supported for
9 months or less. So, listing all the supported frameworks won't make
the query so huge.

In any case, I think we should have this discussion soon (but not
right now, let's push the release out the door!)

cheers,
--
alecu