Re: Disallowing custom namespaces

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Marc Deslauriers
<marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13-10-17 03:27 AM, Michael Nelson wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Martin Albisetti
>> <martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yes to the user, no to the developer. Which is why it feels odd making
>>> the developer decide about something that isn't really user visible.
>>>

>> +1 for removing the unnecessary decision for the moment. Given that we
>> haven't (yet) implemented an automated verification of the domains,
>> let's not let devs choose (and communicate) them unnecessarily.
>> Automatically assigning com.ubuntu.developer domains would seem to
>> sanest option and create the least work right now (as it avoids the
>> possibility of reaching a problem that we need to clean-up and start
>> enforcing).
>
> But now you get back to the issue of having name collisions, which allowing the
> developer to pick their own namespace, as on android, solves.
>
> If you tie the application namespace to the developer username, you then can't
> have the possibility of an application moving between developers without the
> user losing all their settings.
>
> For example, forcing com.ubuntu.developer.joeemployee.facebookapp instead of
> allowing com.facebook.facebookapp means that when Joe Employee is no longer a
> Facebook employee, the app can't be migrated to a new account without losing
> user data.

True - I'd not taken that into account. That would potentially be a
worse problem than the hypothetical situation of needing to remove an
app and re-assign a namespace.

> I don't see why this is a problem for us, but isn't for other platforms.

Also fair point. I'd thought it was...

>> IMHO, enabling people to choose com.google.whatever is only going to
>> lead to pain later. It really is user-visible information at the
>> moment, as per Jamie's Permy app - "Easily see the permissions of your
>> apps with Permy. Includes viewing the policy vendor, policy version,
>> template, groups, APP_ID, and more." which will help people decide
>> whether they are comfortable with the permissions of an app.
>
> Much like it is visible on Android, and as far as I know, they don't validate
> namespaces on their platform either.

OK. If that's the case, then I agree :)

-Michael