Re: Disallowing custom namespaces

On 10/17/2013 08:20 AM, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 13-10-17 08:50 AM, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
>> On 10/17/2013 02:27 AM, Michael Nelson wrote:
>> What if we simply had people use com.ubuntu.developer for everything for now--
>> the scripts could warn/error on any domain that is not that (obviously if we
>> change now we need to consider existing namespaces). Then in the future if
>> demand warrants it, we could have some sort of form for people to request
>> something different with processes in place to somehow manually verify the
>> request. Server side automated checks would augment the simple 'is not
>> com.ubuntu.developer' to also check whatever server side database that stores
>> vetted domains. Eg:
>> if domain.startswith('com.ubuntu.developer.'): # check username and appname too
>>   pass
>> elif was_manually_verified(domain):
>>   pass
>> else:
>>   fail
>>

> This implies you only want single developers in your appstore, and not
> companies.
I addressed the single developers elsewhere and don't believe it is a problem.
As I said before, I am advocating for com.ubuntu.developer *for now* until we
have a process in place for manually verifying and then automating server-side
whether or not the domain was manually verified. Once that process is in place,
facebook can use com.facebook and you can use your domain.

> I'm not sure facebook is going to want
> com.ubuntu.developer.joeemployee.facebookapp, and even for my own app, I'll want
> to use my own domain.

Yes, because it conveys a sense of identity which I am suggesting we try to honor.