Multiple frameworks for apps

As I understand it, the agreement from the app-frameworks discussion at
UDS was that we wanted to be able to offer slightly more fine-grained
framework declarations, and allow apps to require multiple frameworks.
(This would also help with ABI breaks like Qt 5.2; no reason to require
QML-only apps to change just because we change an implementation detail
of the platform that only affects native-code apps.)  I planned for this
when laying out the Click file formats, but it didn't make the
implementation cut for 13.10.

The code currently in lp:click, which will become version 0.4.14,
extends the "framework" manifest field a bit to support this.  With
this, assuming appropriate declaration files in
/usr/share/click/frameworks/, apps will be able to do something like
this:

  "frameworks": "ubuntu-14.04-qml, ubuntu-14.04-html5"

click does not care what the names are; these are just examples.  The
idea here is that if we do need to do ABI breaks in the future, at least
this limits the set of affected apps, and presumably we can keep the
most widely-used ones more stable.  I would suggest that we don't go
overboard on how fine-grained we make this, so that app authors don't
need to make overly complex decisions.

If you have any (non-bikeshed) concerns about this, please let me know
before I get the landing ask for click 0.4.14 approved. :-)

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]

Follow ups