Re: Minimizing icon and screenshot transfer size

On 22.04.2014 15:54, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> What about automatically running pngcrush on all uploaded PNGs? In some
> cases, this might reduce the image size quite a bit. Do we support SVG
> as a format for the icon on the server? An SVG compressed with gzip -9,
> with the file extension of .svgz should be loadable by Qt already, and
> should be a very significant reduction in file size of the image.
> Supporting and encouraging the SVG path is probably something we should
> do anyway.

Even when you do SVG, you often want to reduce detail on lower
resolution screens, so even with vectors we need to support multiple
(even if less variations) sizes.

What's more, we should check, but my feeling is that rendering an SVG is
more costly than loading a PNG. Not something we should disregard -
maybe the cache could cache the rendered bitmap. Unfortunately then Qt
doesn't render all SVGs correctly, two examples being the web browser
and gallery icons, which you can actually see in the image currently.
Work on this would be needed if we wanted Qt to render them.

--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Canonical Services Ltd.