Re: Minimizing icon and screenshot transfer size

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 09:47 -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> I understand the problem.
> The reason we don't already do this, is because programatically
> resizing images without making beautifully crafted images ugly is hard
> and rarely works. In fact, I've had to fight off the increase of the
> default size from 256 to 512   :)

What about automatically running pngcrush on all uploaded PNGs? In some
cases, this might reduce the image size quite a bit. Do we support SVG
as a format for the icon on the server? An SVG compressed with gzip -9,
with the file extension of .svgz should be loadable by Qt already, and
should be a very significant reduction in file size of the image.
Supporting and encouraging the SVG path is probably something we should
do anyway.

> I would also suggest following a bit of what's done in websites, where
> you do lazy loading of images[1], prioritise what's visible on the
> screen and start loading the next ones once that completes, in
> batches. The infrastructure may not be available in scopes, but I
> would certainly suggest it gets added to a ToDo somewhere  :)

So, require all the icons to be progressive JPEGs instead? ;)