Re: Recommended results with empty searches

Hi all,

So I moved on the implementation on this feature and have an initial
working version intended to be pushed in the next few days. This
update is intended to be a call for questions and suggestions.

As noted at the initial emails of the thread, we decided that,
for the initial implementation, the list of applications is going
to be curated by us. This has been implemented in the developer
portal's admin, by adding a particular section that gives
curators the ability to associate a list of applications with one
or more keywords.

When recommendations are pushed to the index, such keywords can then
be used to return a list of packages matching recommendations with the
same format than the search endpoint. Here's a sample request that
would return recommendations matching "whatsapp":

    GET /api/v1/recommendations?keywords=whatsapp

Another feature included in the endpoint is the ability to search
recommendations for several keywords at once (think of it as an OR
query). Here's an example that would return all packages linked to
recommendations that contain "whatsapp", "line" or "viber" as
keywords:

    GET /api/v1/recommendations?keywords=whatsapp,line,viber

As a final note, support for filtering recommended packages by
framework, architecture and country is also provided.

    GET
/api/v1/recommendations?keywords=whatsapp&q=framework:ubuntu-sdk-13.10,architecture:armhf

And that's pretty much the overview of this new endpoint. I'm eager to
hear for any suggestions and comments you may have about it before it
hits the trunk.

Regards,
Fabián