Re: State of userspace alsa in Maverick [Was: Re: Kernel Triage Summit Call for Experts]

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:13 AM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Okay, I've reviewed one thing: according to the changelog this should fix
> #592016 (sound muted on boot in Maverick). I have tested the bzr version of
> alsa-utils, and unless I've done something wrong, sound is still muted on
> startup. This is also consistent with my hypothesis:
> /etc/init/alsa-mixer-save.conf still calls "alsa-utils stop", which mutes
> and zeroes the card. Since PulseAudio is still alive at that point, it
> happily picks up the new alsamixer settings, then writes them down to disk.
> Changing startup logic won't help here, we need to change the shutdown
> logic, e g by delaying "alsa-utils stop" to until PulseAudio is no longer
> running - and we must also make sure nothing autospawns it afterwards.

Your hypothesis is entirely correct.  In retrospect, changing the bits
to use `alsactl init' is too fragile at this point in the cycle, so we
should delay doing so until 11.04.  In fact, I'm not sure how my
change in 1.0.21-1ubuntu2 (for lucid, to stop muting&zeroing after
storing) got dropped - probably during a merge - but that seems
entirely the safest and least intrusive change at this point.

(There's also the side point that current alsa-utils bzr doesn't
handle at all the case where /usr is remote, but that probably didn't
surface in your test environment.)

Best,
-Dan