Re: Dropping the bluez-alsa plugin and socket API of bluez

Le 2012-11-28 10:27, David Henningsson a écrit :
> Bluez is currently being refactored, and as part of that is dropping the
> socket IPC mechanism that the bluez-alsa plugin uses.
>
> In addition; when enabling the socket API explicitly - which we
> currently do in a distro patch - that causes the bluez d-bus API not to
> work correctly with PulseAudio 2.99. This is IMO a bug in bluez, but
> according to Luiz, using the d-bus API with the socket API is not
> supported. And, they've already "moved on" and dropped the socket code
> from their git repo.
>
> PulseAudio 2.1 however works with both the socket and the d-bus APIs of
> bluez.
>
> So, my suggestion is that we
>  * drop the bluez-alsa binary package
>  * drop the patch that enables the socket API
>  * once that is done, continue the work to get PulseAudio 2.99/3.0 into
> Raring.

That's exactly what needs to be done. Bluez has add the MediaEndpoint
dbus stuff which should work properly (from my
knows-nothing-of-pulseaudio point of view).

Last I asked Luke Yelavich about this, the MediaEnpoint API wasn't
supported yet in the version we had in the Ubuntu archive, and that's
the reason why I added the patch to enable the socket API explicitly.

We should let Nobuhiro Iwamatsu know about this too if the plan is to
drop the bluez-alsa binary, since he's the maintainer in Debian and
probably wants to drop it there as well.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.trudel-lapierre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx