Re: Dropping the bluez-alsa plugin and socket API of bluez

On 11/28/2012 06:29 PM, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
Le 2012-11-28 10:27, David Henningsson a écrit :
Bluez is currently being refactored, and as part of that is dropping the
socket IPC mechanism that the bluez-alsa plugin uses.

In addition; when enabling the socket API explicitly - which we
currently do in a distro patch - that causes the bluez d-bus API not to
work correctly with PulseAudio 2.99. This is IMO a bug in bluez, but
according to Luiz, using the d-bus API with the socket API is not
supported. And, they've already "moved on" and dropped the socket code
from their git repo.

PulseAudio 2.1 however works with both the socket and the d-bus APIs of
bluez.

So, my suggestion is that we
  * drop the bluez-alsa binary package
  * drop the patch that enables the socket API
  * once that is done, continue the work to get PulseAudio 2.99/3.0 into
Raring.

That's exactly what needs to be done. Bluez has add the MediaEndpoint
dbus stuff which should work properly (from my
knows-nothing-of-pulseaudio point of view).

Excellent that we are on the same page here. Do you have time to do this (drop patch to enable socket API and drop bluez-alsa package), and upload into Raring any time soon?

Last I asked Luke Yelavich about this, the MediaEnpoint API wasn't
supported yet in the version we had in the Ubuntu archive, and that's
the reason why I added the patch to enable the socket API explicitly.

Ok. The situation has changed now because PulseAudio 2.1 supports both APIs.

We should let Nobuhiro Iwamatsu know about this too if the plan is to
drop the bluez-alsa binary, since he's the maintainer in Debian and
probably wants to drop it there as well.

Good idea. I'll send him an email.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic