Re: Ubuntu touch and audio on the nexus 7.

On 07/11/2013 05:18 AM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
Resending, forgot to include David and the audio-dev mailing list.

Hey folks.
I've been playing around with pulse etc on the nexus 7, and can get audio working with the following changes:
* Disable the android audio system ALSA plugin, and its use in pulse.
* Change some mixer settings as shown in the attach UCM config file, although we need not use UCM, we could do the same thing with a Pulseaudio audio profile.

To UCM or not to UCM, that's the question. I know it's meant for these kinds of things, but every time I try to use it, I get frustrated by its lack of documentation, I'm also unsure of how widely it is actually used out there. It just doesn't seem to be production quality, but that's mostly a feeling I have, rather than actual fact.

So yeah, I'm hesitant to use UCM when there is an alternative. I'm having a hard time making up my mind myself for which road to take - UCM or pulseaudio profiles/paths. Any thoughts on that?

* Unmute audio in the indicator, one extra step needed for Pulse, again a proper audio profile should fix thissss.

We might want to disable the alsactl init/store/restore stuff, completely for Ubuntu Touch, just to have one less thing to deal with. After all it was partially responsible for the long standing Nexus 7 bug with the desktop image, where sound was not working until after S3.

I also filed bug #1198058 about the android audio system ALSA plugin causing multiple pulseaudio processes to be spawned, even if spawning is disabled in /etc/pulse/client.conf. I'm assuming that the android audio ALSA plugin works on other hardware, so it probably can't be backed out wholesale at the moment, but it would be nice to figure a way to back it out for the neuxs 7, so audio can work on touch images for that hardware.

Thoughts?

It's good that you have things up and working! But as you probably know, you won't get automute of speaker on headset plugin by just writing a UCM file.

I've tried to take a wider approach, with jack detection, and some thoughts about how to deal with phone call mode (for Nexus 4). I have started writing some code for that, but timing has been against me - once the flipped container image was ready, and I had the Nexus 4 sent to me, it was vacation time...

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic