Re: Prospective MOTU membership in Bug Control

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 11:47 -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> It should be clear I have a mixed opinion about this and I am wondering
> what the rest of the team thinks.

I think they should obviously be able to apply by the normal
method, however here I think we are discussing reducing the requirements
for them.

I think it would be useful, but just waving through anyone that
says "I want to become a MOTU" seems like a bad idea.

I have two suggestions. First, that we make the universe-contributors
part of bugcontrol, as these people have been active in the community
for a while, and have been advocated by various developers, so we can
be reasonably sure that they won't abuse their powers or be rude to
bug reporters.

Secondly, we could have an application process for someone active in
the development community that just involves checking a random sample
of bugs from their bug page.

However, I don't think the current application process is onerous,
and we don't seem to be overloaded with applications at the moment.
Was the prospective MOTU you spoke to reluctant to apply this way,
or was it that they hadn't been triaging normal bugs, and so wouldn't
have had the evidence for their application?

Thanks,

James