Re: Prospective MOTU membership in Bug Control

Brian Murray  wrote:
> James Westby wrote:
>> I have two suggestions. First, that we make the universe-contributors
>> part of bugcontrol, as these people have been active in the community
>> for a while, and have been advocated by various developers, so we can
>> be reasonably sure that they won't abuse their powers or be rude to
>> bug reporters.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable idea to me.  Is there a group that
> oversees the universe-contributors team that we should contact?
> Additionally, is there a way to get in touch with this group of people
> so we can inform them about their new abilities and responsibilities?

    MOTU Council oversees the that team.  The best contact for team
members is likely ubuntu-motu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: it is expected that
all members are subscribed to this list.  Further, if there is to be a
communication on expected activities, it may make sense to also share
that with MOTU and other interested parties.

>> Secondly, we could have an application process for someone active in
>> the development community that just involves checking a random sample
>> of bugs from their bug page.
>
> I'd rather that they submit five bugs as happens with the regular
> application process.

    I'd like to speak in favour of the normal application process.
Even those prospective developers who primarily work on workflow bugs
are expected to also look at the other bugs in the packages they
update.  This may adding links to upstream bugs, closing bugs now
fixed (e.g. merges or syncs), improving bug descriptions, providing
bug fixes, etc.  Despite the focus of the interested individual on
becoming a developer, they ought be expected to take developer-type
actions on bugs, which should ideally track the existing bug control
guidelines fairly closel.

> Subsequently, I think the applicant should apply using the current
> application process but identify themselves as a prospective MOTU or
> universe-contributor.

    I don't think there should be a hard rule enforced that applicants
who are prospective developers identify themselves as such: if the bug
control work done is sufficient for them to be accepted, this should
stand alone.  That said, if someone is consistently understanding
bugs, documenting that understanding as a fix, getting it uploaded,
and closing the bugs I would expect that person to be considered to be
doing appropriate bug control (even in the case where it is simply
application of upstream fixes into Ubuntu).  Alternately, if someone
is filing lots of sync bugs and wants to mark them all wishlist
without also reviewing other bugs in the packages or helping with the
bug triage process, I'm less confident they should be a member of
bugcontrol.

--
Emmet HIKORY