Re: Application for becoming a member of Bug-Control

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:13:34PM +0200, Andreas Moog wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My Name is Andreas Moog, Nick Ampelbein on freenode. I'm 29 yrs old and
> would like to apply as a member of Ubuntu Bug-Control. I read all the
> available documentation on triaging bugs and already signed the Code of
> Conduct. Now for the Application as listed on the Wiki:
>
> > 1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> > to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> Yes and Yes. Since my day-job is in IT-Support, I'm familiar with
> rudeness and impoliteness from others and I manage to stay calm and polite.
>
> > 2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> > Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>
> Yes, I Read that and currently I have no Questions about them.
>
> > 3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
> > information.
>
> I should check for things like passwords, account-numbers/-names. Simply
> anything that is not designed to be public knowledge.
>
> > 4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
>
> I mostly go the list of bugs down and don't have a preferred package.
> But I would be very interested in helping with xorg and mozilla-packages.

Both of these groups of packages have active triaging teams and I'm sure
they'd welcome your help.  There is a specific X channel at #ubuntu-x
and a Mozilla team channel at #ubuntu-mozillateam.

> > 5. Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> > should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> > properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not
> > have an importance indicate what importance you would give it after
> > becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list
> > of bugs.
>
> Ok, here we go:
>
> 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxslt/+bug/85439
> 	I would rate this bug with Low importance since it has only a
> 	moderate impact on a non-core package

This is great work, thanks for forwarding the bug upstream this is an
invaluable service.  I'd agree with the importance here provided it
doesn't happen with xsl file.

> 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/256820
> 	This bug would get High importance since it has a severe Impact
> 	on users with the same graphics-card.

Again this is great work.  Thanks for forwarding this upstream and
adding the log files to the upstream report.  I agree with the
importance you had this bug report given.

> 3.https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-savage/+bug/255826
> 	This one has already a priority set. I gathered the Information
> 	and forwarded it Upstream.

This is great too! :-)  You mention in a comment regarding filing a bug
about displayconfig-gtk - this tool is actually deprecated is planned to
be removed from Intrepid.  The new way of doing things is with
gnome-display-properties, which is part of gnome-control-center, and
that is what people should be using.

> 4. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seahorse/+bug/256679
> 	In this bug, all information was ready, so I filed it Upstream
> 	and linked to it.

Another forwarded bug report - great!  Thanks again for taking the
time to do this and even preparing a debdiff.

> 5.https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/154643
> 	This one I would rate with Medium-Priority. Though it seems that 	for
> now it only a cosmetic issue, the user can't tell the
> 	difference when his RAM is actually flawed.

Your triaging of this bug looks good to me, I'll bring it up with Leann
as she might want to make it Won't Fix or have it tested with Intrepid.

> 6.https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/155840
> 	This would be rated Low. It's a cosmetic issue that can easily
> 	be worked around.

I'm uncertain why this bug is in a Confirmed state as you seem to have
asked whether or not it was an issue with Intrepid.  Additionally, I'm
curious as to why you nominated this bug for Intrepid.  Was this
intentional and if so why?  I agree with the Low importance you'd give
it though.

> 7. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/227819
> 	This one would also be rated Low because the issue does not seem
> 	to harm the function.

And another forwarded bug report - great!  I agree with the importance
here too.  It'd be interesting to know what happens with a Live CD from
Intrepid though.

Based on the quality of your application and the feedback from other Bug
Control members I am happy to approve your application in the Ubuntu Bug
Control team for a period of 90 days.  After that point in time if you
are still actively triaging bug reports please ping a team administrator
and we'd be happy to extend your membership.

Thanks and welcome to the team!

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com