Bug-control application for Anthony Noto (angusthefuzz)

Bug-control members,

1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to you
or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
I have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and thus far I have encountered
many users who are frustrated with Ubuntu or particular aspects of the OS.
Although the canned responses help, I recognize that the majority of these
users are legitimately "taking the time to report this bug and helping to
make Ubuntu better".  As a medical student, I am required to deal with irate
patients and physicians as a part of my daily routine.  I think this daily
experience has you uniquely prepared me to deal with rude users in a
professional manor.

2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
I have read these wiki pages as well as the other pages of the bug squad
knowledgebase and I plan to refer to them often as I earn the privilege of
greater control over bug triage.  I believe all the questions I have had
throughout my training have been answered by the resident experts in
#ubuntu-bugs.  If I encounter further problems I definitely know where to go
for guidance.

3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash report
bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more information.
In private Apport crashes I need to look for sensitive function arguments
like credit card numbers, social security numbers, passwords, usernames or
any other personal information.  After this information has been removed I
can make the report public but for most of the time making a bug public is
not necessary.

4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?
Thus far I have been primarily focusing on new bugs that are not assigned to
a package.  I find it rewarding to watch the bug count decrease as I triage
bugs into their proper packages and update their status.  In reality, it's
all I can do to keep the number of new and homeless bugs from increasing,
yet I can dream.  More recently I have taken an interest in gnome desktop
bugs, specifically the packages: Nautilus, gnome-games, gnome-panel and
gnome-applets.  I am very familar with gnome and I find that many of these
bugs are straightforward and easy for me to replicate (specifically, the
gnome-games bugs are extremely fun to replicate most of the time).

5. Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does not have an
importance indicate what importance you would give it after becoming a
member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/292443
This bug shows my ability to interact with users of a different culture
through a language barrier.  I also forwarded the bug upstream and added a
bug watch.  As it does not have an importance set, I would set the
importance to Low because it is a cosmetic issue with an important cause
(encoding error) in a major application.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/296484
This bug demonstrates my ability to triage a bug, recreate the problem,
identify the correct importance through a conversation with azimout on
#ubuntu-bugs, forward the bug upstream and add a bug watch for that upstream
bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/288236
This bug demonstrates my ability to add a bug watch as well as search for
duplicates.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/292362
Initially, I had no idea what this user was trying to report (of course the
moon looks flat, its a 2D monitor).  Instead of invalidating the bug
outright, I asked some questions and eventually understood that the moon
picture was stretched.  I updated the title to reflect the new
understanding.  I was able to confirm the bug on my system.  The importance
for this bug is not set.  As bug-control, I would set the importance to
Wishlist as the stretched moon would be trivial to fix and it does not
affect the usability at all.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mime-support/+bug/294957
Finally, I chose this bug because sometimes bugs are straightforward and
need to be moved along quickly.  This bug is a good example of "low-hanging
fruit".  If I were in Bug-control this bug would get a medium importance
because the workaround is simple and it has a pretty severe impact on users
who want to watch videos in this format automatically.

Thank you for reviewing my application.  If you need any more evidence of my
ability to triage don't hesitate to contact me through email or in
#ubuntu-bugs.  Bug triage is an enormous task and I look forward to working
with you all in the future.

Respectfully submitted,
Anthony Noto

Follow ups