Re: I want to be a member of the team

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 02:03:48AM -0800, Ryan Niebur wrote:
> I want to be a member of the ubuntu-bugcontrol team. I don't intend to
> do any general work triaging bugs in Ubuntu. But, for the packages
> that I maintain in Debian, I will work on Ubuntu bugs that also affect
> Debian. and I know that MOTUs get access to bugs also, but I do not
> intend to become a MOTU or do any developement/packaging work directly
> in Ubuntu either.

Out of curiosity - will you be doing anything to identify bug reports as
Ubuntu specific if you find one?

> So, wrt the Application:
>
>    1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
>    rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> yes, and yes.
>
>    2. Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
>    Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that
>    documentation?
>
> read the last 3, read the relavant (the parts that have to with the
> types of bugs I will be "controlling") sections of the first one,
> while skimming the rest. No questions, it's all fairly
> straightforward.
>
>    3. What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
>    crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for
>    more information.
>
> personally, I wouldn't go as far as to make a stack trace public that
> contains the persons hostname (without asking first).  that's probably
> a little more strict than Ubuntu in general, though. obviously no
> passwords, email addresses, etc.
>
>    4. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>    interested in helping out with?
>
> yes, onle the ones that I maintain/am working on maintaining in
> Debian. Currently, that is: gstm, libnagios-object-perl, xli, xalan,
> and swatch.
>
>    5. Please list of five or more bugs which you have triaged. These
>    bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process
>    and how to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list
>    that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would
>    give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use
>    urls in your list of bugs.
>
> These are the bugs (in gstm) that I've looked at tonight:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/105078
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/105082
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/276517
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/276525
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/276529
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/276530
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/276534
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstm/+bug/293240
>
> Here are the suggested importances, which I just asked on irc: 01:15 <
> Ryan52> can somebody set some bug importances for me? here's my list
> (bugnumber => suggested_importance_level): 105078 => low, 105082 =>
> low, 276517 => low, 276525 => low, 276529 => medium, 276530 =>
>                 low, 293240 => medium

I agree with all the importances you've chosen for the bug reports
you've provided.

> and a status change:
> 01:28 < Ryan52> and, can somebody change the status on 276534 to wont
> fix instead of invalid. I knew there was a won't fix, but not seeing
> it in the list made me think I was wrong...and now I figured out that
> there is a status called wont't fix, but I just don't have permission
> to use it. -_-
>
> Here's a few Debian bug examples, too, just because they are more
> interesting than the launchpad ones, and demostrate that I can
> actually ask bug reporters for more information rather than just say
> "ya, ok, I'll fix this" :)

Based on the quality of your work, I'm approving your membership in the
Bug Control team for a period of 90 days.  After that period of time if
you still actively triaging bugs please ping a team administrator and
we'll be happy to extend your membership!

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com