Re: My Application to Join

> 1) As you can see from my bug triaging with the bug squad (I hope!) I always try
> to be polite to bug reporters or other commenters no matter what.  After all,
> they have taken the time to make ubuntu better, but sometimes they need a hand
> with triaging, who would I be to deny them that.  And yes I have signed the Ubuntu CoC.
>
> 2) I have read the documentation thouroughly when I first joined the bugsquad. And
> whenever I am doubtful of something I refer to it.  I have the wiki links saved in
> a .txt in my home folder in case I need to visit them.
>
> 3) The 'stacktrace.txt' file which is attatched in apport crash report bugs could have
> sensitive information such as passwords, bank numbers, CSS keys or e-mail addresses.

This is not the only file that can contain sensitive information as I
understand it, so I'd review the guidelines there.

> 4) I wouldn't say there was a particurlar package I want to help out with, but there
> are so many packages in ubuntu and in the repos I often find myself being put
> off a few reports when I check out the ubuntu bugs because I don't know the package
> too well, which I find makes triaging a whole lot easier.  I feel more comfortable
> with the more commonly used packages such as firefox, and rhythmbox.
>
> 5) Examples of my bug triaging can be found at...:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/374244 -- I would have
> given that bug a 'High' importance because openoffice spreadsheet is often used for
> important financial information, and if the reporter hadn't noticed that bug his
> potentially important spreadsheet could've been ruined.

This importance is tricky, but you are in the right area, I would say
Medium or High. It could really mess up someone's data and cause them
to do the wrong thing.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/+bug/373889 -- This bug I see as being
> reasonably low importance.  Although alot of people rely on bluetooth to send files,
> the file transfers were still possible, just with a different method, so the bug could
> be worked around.

Good job getting more info and confirming the bug, and updating
description. It was a great idea to check on IRC and try to confirm.
If you can't get an answer and suspect it is an upstream problem,
don't be afraid to look for an upstream bug in their tracker and file
one if you can't find one. Two more things I would have done though,
are update the title to something more descriptive like "can no longer
send files from nokia phones to PC via bluetooth", and tag it with
regression-release so it can be tracked as a regression properly.
(I've done these)

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/373791 -- I would have
> given this a 'Medium' importance, as it badly effects a very small amount of people.

Overall pretty good although I am not sure it warrants a Medium
importance without another person actually confirming the bug. Another
good thing here is to ask if the user can try the restricted drivers,
which I've done.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/335986 -- In my opinion that bug
> was of 'Low' importance because it mildly affected a small amount of people.

Confirming based on screenshot seems good, and I agree with the
Importance. However in a case like this I'd AT LEAST open an empty
upstream task as this is quite likey an upstream issue, and ideally
file a bug there. I've marked it as needing forwarding upstream by
clicking the "Also affects project" button and opening a blank task.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kompozer/+bug/374062 -- That bug was a quick
> one to confirm.

Good job confirming. This is another case where an upstream task is
helpful, although there isn't an upstream project linked so that would
require more investigation to see if there is a tracker.

> Obviously if you want you can goto:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/~bencrisford
> To see some more.
>

> Anyway I really hope you conside me for the bug control team, i've wanted to join for so

Overall I think your application is good, and demonstrates a good
understanding of Importance, and give it a +1. As I said there are a
few extra steps / improvements I would have taken but I've noted
those, and I don't think they are reason for not being a BugControl
member. Also I agree with hggdh in that using a welcoming intro would
be beneficial. I always use "Hello <username>, thanks for using Ubuntu
and thanks for taking the time to report this bug!", so you might
consider something like that.