Re: Application to the Ubuntu Bug Control team

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:52:52PM +0200, Bartosz Kosiorek wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm developer of the openchrome project, and also I'm involved in bug
> tracking for xserver-xorg-video-openchrome (the opensource VIA
> driver).
> I fixing bugs in openchrome project, which I found in Ubuntu.
> I would like to do this better, thats why I would join to Ubuntu Bug
> Control team.
> I would can change importance of the bugs, set status to Triage etc.
>
> I think I have meet all reqiurements:
> 1) Yes i promise to always be polite to any user, and yes i signed the
> Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~gang65/+codesofconduct
> 2) I've read all this pages, I understand it and I haven't got question.
> 3) I'd look for private data like passwords, credit card numbers, bank
> accounts, etc.
> 4) Generally I would like to triage openchrome, and some Gnome bugs
> 5) Currently I'm working on bug in xserver-xorg-video-openchrome. I
> would like to change priority like below:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/221373

This looks good to me and linking to the upstream bug report is always
helpful.  An importance of high seems appropriate.  I noticed that
you've nominated this bug report for Karmic.  Is it not fixed there?

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/158999

The triage work you've done here isn't as interesting as the last bug
report but it is fine.  I'm curious why you would give this bug report a
Medium priority instead of High like the last one.  Could you explain
this a bit?

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/367746

This looks good to me and I agree with a priority of Low on this bug
report.  I noticed that this bug also has a nomination for Karmic,
however your last comment indicates that it was fixed in Karmic.  If
there is no release task for the bug current it is considered to be the
development release which is Karmic in this case.  Subsequently, the
Karmic nomination is rather redundant.  I am nit picking a bit but does
that make sense?

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/364739

This looks fine, however when you asked for the log file the bug's
status was not updated from New to Incomplete which would have been
appropriate and prevented Bryce's comment.  I agree with an importance
of Low here.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/355918

Requesting that this particular bug report be filed at the kernel bug
tracker, while is generally a great thing, might have happened a bit
early.  Particularly since the bug is regarding the interaction of a
proprietary driver.  I'd rather have seen the linux task opened and
triaged in Ubuntu before any upstream interaction.  I agree that an
importance of low is the right one for this bug report.

> If I join to Ubuntu Bug Control team, the triaging of the
> xserver-xorg-video-openchrome bugs will be easier.

Based on the quality of your work, while there are some minor things you
could work on, I am happy to approve your membership in the Ubuntu Bug
Control team.  Thanks for helping out and welcome to the team!

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com