Re: mentor request

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 16:32 +0100, Chris Coulson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 23:17 -0400, Siddhartha Kattoju wrote:
> > Hello!,
> >
> > I am a computer engineering student specializing in software. I can
> > program in C++ but I am not really sure how to apply myself to real
> > world programming situations. I am preparing for my first co-op work
> > term which is scheduled for next summer. I hope to gain insight into
> > the workings of large scale software production. It would be great if
> > I could be assigned an experienced mentor to guide me along the way.

(...)

> First of all, may I be the first to welcome you on your journey.
>
> What type of experience are you looking for? Are you looking to be
> involved with bug triaging or development and general packaging work
> instead? If it is the latter, then there is probably a more appropriate
> mailing list - ubuntu-motu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .  If you are looking for
> this type of experience, then I would recommend first having a look at
> the MOTU wiki page [1].  There is also a mentoring program for new
> contributors, which is detailed in [2].
>
> If you want to help out with packaging and development work, then I
> would recommend coming on to #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net, where
> there are lots of friendly and helpful people around to answer your
> questions :)

Hello Siddartha,

Thank you for your interest in the bugsquad mentorship programme.

Chris has a good point: the bugsquad mentorship programme is geared for
triagers: we will help you to understand, familiarise yourself, and be
able to walk on your own on *triaging* bugs.

We do not touch, much, on the writing of patches and packaging pieces:
these activities are not performed by triagers.

Nevertheless, in my personal view, triaging is a very important part of
the patching process, and does provide one with a much needed experience
on dealing with end-user requirements, needs, frustration,
misunderstanding, etc.

Regards,