Re: Offline Bug Crashes -- How do I report apport information when I reconnect?

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:46:03PM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:40:04PM -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > Don't know if this is the best spot to post this, but I've been wondering
> > lately when I experience a crash offline and apport kicks off, how do I
> > report these bugs/crashes once I get back online?
>
> You use the command apport-cli to file previous crash, or bug, reports.
> For example, I experienced and X bug today and ssh'ed to the system
> executed 'apport-cli xorg' and then choose to keep the report for later.
> I then copied the resulting file to my laptop and used 'apport-cli
> apport.xorg.R2kK2P.apport' to file the bug report.  The same thing will
> work with crash files.

Actually, at that point, you could have done 'ubuntu-bug
apport.xorg.R2kK2P.apport' and ubuntu-bug would have attempted to use
the gui based bug reporters (e.g. apport-gtk) and web browser for filing
the bug report, if they were installed. You're not stuck using the cli
tools to file saved reports and crashes.

One improvement that ought to be made to apport's gui tools is to expose
the ability to save a crash or bug report for later filing; at a minimum,
offering to save the report if apport failed to upload the report to
launchpad would help.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie@xxxxxxxxxx>