Re: jeremyfoshee wants to join

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:58:24AM -0400, Jeremy Foshee wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> > part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> > criteria are met.
> >
> > 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> > you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> I do indeed. Having the Support Engineering background that I do, I
> have dealt with many bug /issue reporters and have run the gamut from
> polite to downright nasty in their responses. I have no problem being
> polite to those types of people. I have signed the CoC.

Great!

> > 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> > Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> > that documentation?
>
> I have read them and, as usually is the case, I have flagged them for
> future reference. I don't have any questions currently, but I also
> have no problem asking those questions as they arise.
>

> > 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> > information.
>
> Well, there could be any kind of potentially sensitive data passed in
> as function call arguments. Most of the time this is password
> information or static IP and in some cases internal hostname. I've not
> yet had to deal with this, but I have the information should I ever
> need it.

Yes, that is correct.  Additionally, it is important to ensure that when
making a bug public it does not have a CoreDump attached.

> > 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
>
> Lately I have been dealing exclusively with kernel bugs. I am still
> fresh in the process of understanding all aspects of kernel bug
> triage, but I am lucky in that I have a great resource in Leann O.,
> Steve Conklin and occasionally Pete Graner to ask questions of.

Awesome, I'm sure Leann will appreciate the help.

> > 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> > triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> > process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> > that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> > it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> > your list of bugs so we can more easily find them.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/430694 I didn't do much to this due to
> it being a high importance case. I simply brought it to the attention
> of PGraner and he set the priority, etc.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/27287  This case was very confusing as
> there seemed to be irrelevant information in the bug. I asked for some
> clarification and I believe we have the issue back on track.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/441162 This bug was answered based on
> information I got again from PGraner. I have a request in for
> information on the feasability/necessity of a bug for detecting
> encrypted home and reacting appropriately.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/441485 The request in this bug was due
> to information from the kernel team. It appears we already get the
> information we requested, but I have not heard yet if that is in fact
> the case.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/308820 This is an old bug that needed
> an information refresh

I noticed that you didn't include the importance that you would assign
the bugs if you were a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  This is really a
critical part of the application and we need to see that.  Additionally,
reviewing a couple of the bug reports its not clear to me what work you
specifically did on them.  Could you send in some different bugs and
include the importance you would assign them?

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com