Re: Mentors request queue

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Mike Rooney <mrooney@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:08 PM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This still requires someone taking action based on the email, it is
>>> just an easier step compared to responding perhaps.
>>>
>>> Could we just have this as a step on the part of the user? "Add
>>> yourself to the wiki and send an email to the list". The wiki table
>>> could have all the required information as columns, including date
>>> added. I think this might better accomplish the goal of not losing
>>> track and will put everything in one place making it easy for a mentor
>>> to find a mentee.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> While I was adding in the candidates, I thought about that -- and
>> rejected, thinking on easing the requirements.
>>
>> Now, after having added them in (and again, and again, fixing formatting
>> problems), I am not so sure ;-).
>>
>> Also, we expect the candidates to (eventually) help on the wiki. So, why
>> not start when they request mentorship?
>>
>> So, yes, I am in favour. I am only not sure on making this a
>> requirement, perhaps just leaving it as a strong suggestion.
>>
>> ..C..
>>

> Yes, if someone emails the list without adding themselves to the wiki
> I don't suggest we ignore them :) But it will mean that by encouraging
> people to add themselves to the wiki, as long as they do this it is
> much harder for them to fall through the cracks and also means less
> work for us/you.
>
> --
> Michael Rooney

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but can't we use
launchpad to organize this mentorship program?
My idea is to have a restricted group called similar to
"~ubuntu-bugs-mentorship". All mentors are administrators of this
group (directly or via a separate team). People requesting mentorship
which do not have a mentor yet are in the "Pending approval" queue.
All mentees are approved members of this team.
This team should also be subscribed to all bugs a mentee is working
while participating in this program, this way it is easy to keep track
of what's going on.

Markus