Re: monkey-libre wants to join

On 02/07/2010 10:10 AM, Monkey Libre wrote:

>> 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
>> triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
>> process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
>> that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
>> it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
>> your list of bugs so we can more easily find them.
>>

> I can´t change the status to triaged and I have made the upstream.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poedit/+bug/454949

Thank you for you work here. Nevertheless, there are some points I would
like to raise (anot all of these points are directed to you, I am just
using the opportunity):

1. opening bugs upstream is important, no question. But we should try to
do the way upstream would like it. In this case, the upstream bug lacked
context -- which is always important, no matter which upstream we are
talking about --. Additionally, the poedit developers have some other
restrictions they set up on their wiki [1] (and I accept this is not
immediately visible).

We will make upstream much more happy if we follow their way. This means
we need to understand their work flow, *and follow it*. There is a bit
of advice on our wiki, from the AdoptAnUpstream project [2]; see the
"Things you should know", at the bottom.

(OTOH, I liked that you added a link to the Ubuntu bug upstream. This is
very good, and always should be done.)

2. This bug ended as not being present on current upstream. Good. But
you should have made it clear, when changing the status. *Always* add a
comment explaining why you are changing Status or Importance. Do not
rely on people going to the upstream bug to find out (or for upstream to
open the Ubuntu bug, conversely).

3. The end status should not have been Invalid. The bug seems to exist
on Ubuntu 9.10, and is not reproducible on current upstream -- so the
status should have been set as *Confirmed*, pending update of the Ubuntu
package. Marking it as Invalid will tell the maintainer that there is
nothing to be done, and life is good. Keep the same version as 9.10, and
we are flying. After setting it Confirmed, you should ask a
bug-controller to mark it triaged.

> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/315802
> medium ->
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-notifier/+bug/340479
> high -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/500117
> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/506561
> wishlist -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/508587
> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pythoncad/+bug/511390
> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/518024
> low -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/516461
> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/515806
> medium -> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/515495

Er. We expect to see *your* triage work. Some (I did not look at all) of
these bugs were triaged by others, and you are just stating what
Importance you would set.

Given the above, I would like you to have more experience and exposure
to triaging before accepting you on bug-control.

-1

..C..

[1] http://www.poedit.net/trac/wiki/HowtoReportBugs
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Upstream/Adopt