Re: komputes wants to join bug-control

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:44:34PM -0500, komputes wrote:
> I would like to apply to be part of Bug Control. In fact I am applying
> for the second time (last time was 4 months ago). Since then, I have
> become an Ubuntu member, adopted the usb-creator package and
> triaged many bugs for that project.
>
> Being a lead contacts for my LoCo (Ubuntu-QC - Ubuntu LUG in Montreal,
> Quebec) has given me the opportunity to give talks about how to
> effectively report bugs, help out in BugSquad, and use launchpad.net. We
> hold a weekly "Ubuntu Hour" meeting where we get to know each other and
> discuss various issues concerning Ubuntu. I was one of the organizers of
> the first Ubuntu-QC Global Bug Jam last year, and will be organizing the
> second one this year. Being part of Bug Control would greatly help, by
> allowing me to triage bugs during these events.
>
> I would like to become a liaison between launchpad and GNOME, KDE and
> Mozilla upstreams. Also involved in bugs concerning Launchpad,
> Hardware, Ubuntu (testing latest dev build), and Audio/Video bugs (alsa,
> pulse, X.org). I have signed the CoC and have read and understood the
> documentation pertaining to Bugs (Triage, Importance, Status,
> Assignment, Crash/Private Bug Handling) on wiki.ubuntu.com.
>
> Here are some interesting bugs I have worked on (as requested):
>
> 1) Title: ubuntu-bug and apport-collect should attach .usbcreator.log
> Notes: In this bug, a user requested a new feature to be added so that
> usb-creator upload useful information when reporting a bug. I tested and
> confirmed the issue and would mark this bug as [Triaged, Wishlist]
> (because it is requesting a new feature and because the log can be
> uploaded manually.)

I'm working on this, and including lsusb output, now.

> 2) Title: gnusound crashes X session immediately on launch
> Notes: In this bug, many people had confirmed the issue and duplicate
> had been found. I requested assistance of Bryce Harrington to let us
> know if all the information needed by a developer was available. Other
> users included stack traces of the crash. I have contacted the upstream
> mailing list and primary developer to see if they could offer
> assistance. I have also added the project to launchpad as it was unaware
> of the upstream project details. I would mark this bug as [Triaged,
> Medium] as it has severe impact on a non-core application.
>
> 3) Title: weird graphics with sis graphics card
> Notes: In this bug, a regression was presented where artifacts and
> flicker start to happen on the screen. Luckily a workaround was found
> and tested and then confirmed. I followed up with the OP and
> unsuccessfully tried to make contact with the main developer of the
> driver for this family of video cards (no upstream bug tracker for this
> one). I would mark this bug as [Triaged, Low] as it is a low impact bug
> which affects hardware (which does not seem properly supported) and that
> there is a workaround available. As well the fix (of loading the missing
> module should that card be detected) is trivial.
>
> In the following two bugs, many issues were reported that were not
> solved in the bug itself. I'm not sure that this is exactly "Triage",
> but more of a redirection of users affected by issues to specific bugs
> they can comment on. These cluster-bug  collected many issues with an
> application therefore they were split up into multiple "one subject"
> bugs that deal with each issue individually:
>
> 4) Title: usb-creator operates on mounted filesystems, does not display
> confirmation dialogs, issue warnings about data loss
>
> 5) Title: gdm 2.26 has no graphical configuration tool
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/395299

Technically this isn't bug triage but directing people to the proper
bugs and dealing with these "cluster bugs" are both valuable services -
so I think they are worth taking into consideration.

Based on everyone's positive feedback of your work I'm happy to add you
as a member to the team.  Thank you for helping out and welcome to the
team!

Sincerely,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com