Re: william-z-wu wants to join

Hi Brian,

Sorry for replying your email later. I am very interesting in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team. Theses days I have looked into the wiki site very carefully and had more idea now. Please see below answers with red words.

> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:05:28 -0700
> From: brian@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: william.z.wu@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: william-z-wu wants to join
>
> Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> criteria are met.
>
> 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
William: Yes, I promise to be a professional and kind attitude to all the bug reporters even they are rude. I have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

William: I have gone through the Bugs/HowTo Triage, Bugs/Assignment and Bugs/Importance at wiki.ubuntu.com. There documents are written with very detail information. I got a lot of information from those wiki. The only suggestion is: If we can have some snapshots or screen shots in those documents, that will be more easy to read.

> 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> information.
William:
# If the crash still has a CoreDump.gz attachment, then it was not possible to automatically get a fully symbolic stack trace and check for duplicates. In this case, the bug will be tagged with apport-failed-retrace. If the stack trace looks good enough, the CoreDump.gz attachment should be removed with the (edit) link in the attachment box. If the retrace failed completely, mark the bug as 'Invalid' and ask the reported to refile the bug if the crash can be reproduced. Never mark public a bug containing a Coredump.gz attachment.

# If there is no Stacktrace.txt (retraced) attachment, then the most probable reason is that the CoreDump.gz attachment is broken. Please check with Martin Pitt (pitti in IRC, martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx) about the reason, he can look into log files.

#Check if the Stacktrace.txt (retraced) attachment has anything that looks like sensitive data passed as function arguments. Examples are passwords, things that look like bank account numbers, CSS keys, etc. If you don't find anything, you may mark the bug as public ("This report is public/private" in the top right of the bug report). This is not required, though, it is fine to keep the bug private throughout its lifetime.

> 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
William: I am really exciting to have chance to give contribution to Unbuntu. But honestly, I am a green hand in Unbuntu, even I have many years experience in software developer and tester. I would like to be assigned with with GUI/Interface related package or group. I hope with time being, I can handle more complex package.

> 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> your list of bugs so we can more easily find them.
William: I am still working on this. Have looked into several defects. I will be very careful before doing any triage operation. Will prepare this later.

> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance
>
> Thanks again for your interest in joining the team and we look forward
> to hearing from you.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Brian Murray
> Ubuntu Bug Master

MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729707

Follow ups