Re: william-z-wu wants to join

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:43 -0700, William Wu wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Sorry for replying your email later. I am very interesting in joining
> the Ubuntu Bug Control team. Theses days I have looked into the wiki
> site very carefully and had more idea now. Please see below answers
> with red words.

> > 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
> rude to
> > you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> William: Yes, I promise to be a professional and kind attitude to all
> the bug reporters even they are rude. I have signed the Ubuntu Code of
> Conduct.
>
> > 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> > Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com? Do you have any questions
> about
> > that documentation?
> William: I have gone through the Bugs/HowTo Triage, Bugs/Assignment
> and Bugs/Importance at wiki.ubuntu.com. There documents are written
> with very detail information. I got a lot of information from those
> wiki. The only suggestion is: If we can have some snapshots or screen
> shots in those documents, that will be more easy to read.
>
> > 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> > information.
> William:
> # If the crash still has a CoreDump.gz attachment, then it was not
> possible to automatically get a fully symbolic stack trace and check
> for duplicates. In this case, the bug will be tagged with
> apport-failed-retrace. If the stack trace looks good enough, the
> CoreDump.gz attachment should be removed with the (edit) link in the
> attachment box. If the retrace failed completely, mark the bug as
> 'Invalid' and ask the reported to refile the bug if the crash can be
> reproduced. Never mark public a bug containing a Coredump.gz
> attachment.
>
> # If there is no Stacktrace.txt (retraced) attachment, then the most
> probable reason is that the CoreDump.gz attachment is broken. Please
> check with Martin Pitt (pitti in IRC, martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx) about
> the reason, he can look into log files.
>
> #Check if the Stacktrace.txt (retraced) attachment has anything that
> looks like sensitive data passed as function arguments. Examples are
> passwords, things that look like bank account numbers, CSS keys, etc.
> If you don't find anything, you may mark the bug as public ("This
> report is public/private" in the top right of the bug report). This is
> not required, though, it is fine to keep the bug private throughout
> its lifetime.

You can also manually edit the stacktrace and remove the private data,
then re-upload the sanitised stacktrace as a new attachment, and delete
the old one.

Of course, this is a rather intensive manual procedure, so we usually
just leave the bug private, and -- when needed -- do the sanitising on
what we send upstream.

> > 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
> William: I am really exciting to have chance to give contribution to
> Unbuntu. But honestly, I am a green hand in Unbuntu, even I have many
> years experience in software developer and tester. I would like to be
> assigned with with GUI/Interface related package or group. I hope with
> time being, I can handle more complex package.

Just one clarification here: we do not assign bugs to triagers. You, as
a triager, is free to select whatever subset of the bugs you would like
to work on.

> > 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> > triaged. These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the
> triage
> > process and how to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your
> list
> > that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would
> give
> > it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control. Please use urls in
> > your list of bugs so we can more easily find them.
> William: I am still working on this. Have looked into several defects.
> I will be very careful before doing any triage operation. Will prepare
> this later.

Given the above, I would like you to reapply when you have five bugs you
consider a good demonstration of your skills as a triager.

Best regards,

..C..

--
C de-Avillez