Re: Application for the bug control team

Hi Alexander,

First of all, I am very sorry for this delay.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:21:18 -0700
Alexander Lancey <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, here is my application to join the Ubuntu bug control team. My
> Launchpad username is muscovy.
>
> 1.) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
> rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> Yes, I promise to be polite to others.
>
> 2.) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
>
> I have read the documentation, and have no questions.
>
> 3.) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
> crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for
> more information.
>
> Passwords or any sort of personal information in core dumps and stack
> traces. Coredumps should be removed or kept private.

Right now the whole bug should be kept private if it has a coredump
attached. Work is in progress, though, to allow for attachments only
to be marked private.

> 4.) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
>
> Nothing in particular. Most of the bugs I have worked on beyond the
> level of descriptions/tags/detail-requests have been easy things to
> test (bugs in applications I use, typos, incorrect dependencies,
> etc).
>
> 5.) Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how
> to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does
> not have an importance indicate what importance (and explain the
> reasoning) you would give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug
> Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.
>
> 1- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/617093
> I would mark this bug as medium importance. Although it is
> embarrassing, it does not effect functionality. Possibly high, as it
> IS a bug in the default theme. If I was a Bug Control member, I
> would ask the IRC channel for opinions.

I am sorry, but this bug is yours (you opened it). I cannot count it
as a triage work.

> 2- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/618359
> I would give this bug low importance because mutter is not commonly
> used, and the problem is an aesthetic one.

Agreed with importance.

> 3- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xchat/+bug/623066
> I think this bug is of low importance, because XChat is a non-core
> application and the bug can be worked around.

Agreed on importance, but I fail to see real triage work.

> 4-
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gkrellmapcupsd/+bug/612143
> I think this is a low priority bug, because the incorrect
> description isn't very misleading, and the package is not commonly
> used.

Well, actually empathy is the *default* chat application nowadays...
But, anyway, I do not see much on triage from you here -- only a
comment stating you got it to work, but is unsure on what exactly you
did.

Also, just by the number of duplicates, this would be at least a
medium importance.

> 5- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lshw/+bug/620114
> I would give this bug high priority because it will cause a full
> system halt.

Agreed with importance, but I fail to see real triage work.

> Thank you for considering my application.

You are welcome.

In general, I cannot see much work in terms of triaging. For
example, marking a bug confirmed (being the single action on the bug)
does not really qualify.

Based on the bugs shown I cannot consider you qualified for
Bug-Control. As such, I vote

-1

for the moment. Please keep on working on bugs and, when you have a
selection that do show _triage_ work, please reapply.

Cheers,

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.