Re: Application for the bug control team

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:46 PM, C de-Avillez <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> First of all, I am very sorry for this delay.
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:21:18 -0700
> Alexander Lancey <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello, here is my application to join the Ubuntu bug control team. My
> > Launchpad username is muscovy.
> >
> > 1.) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
> > rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
> >
> > Yes, I promise to be polite to others.
> >
> > 2.) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> > Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
> >
> > I have read the documentation, and have no questions.
> >
> > 3.) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport
> > crash report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for
> > more information.
> >
> > Passwords or any sort of personal information in core dumps and stack
> > traces. Coredumps should be removed or kept private.
>
> Right now the whole bug should be kept private if it has a coredump
> attached. Work is in progress, though, to allow for attachments only
> to be marked private.
>
> > 4.) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
> >
> > Nothing in particular. Most of the bugs I have worked on beyond the
> > level of descriptions/tags/detail-requests have been easy things to
> > test (bugs in applications I use, typos, incorrect dependencies,
> > etc).
> >
> > 5.) Please list five or more bugs which you have triaged. These bugs
> > should demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how
> > to properly handle bugs. If there is a bug in your list that does
> > not have an importance indicate what importance (and explain the
> > reasoning) you would give it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug
> > Control. Please use urls in your list of bugs.
> >
> > 1- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/617093
> > I would mark this bug as medium importance. Although it is
> > embarrassing, it does not effect functionality. Possibly high, as it
> > IS a bug in the default theme. If I was a Bug Control member, I
> > would ask the IRC channel for opinions.
>
> I am sorry, but this bug is yours (you opened it). I cannot count it
> as a triage work.
>
> > 2- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/618359
> > I would give this bug low importance because mutter is not commonly
> > used, and the problem is an aesthetic one.
>
> Agreed with importance.
>
> > 3- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xchat/+bug/623066
> > I think this bug is of low importance, because XChat is a non-core
> > application and the bug can be worked around.
>
> Agreed on importance, but I fail to see real triage work.
>
> > 4-
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gkrellmapcupsd/+bug/612143
> > I think this is a low priority bug, because the incorrect
> > description isn't very misleading, and the package is not commonly
> [...]

-1 from me also. Apart from what hggdh said, I noticed that none of
the bugs you presented are reported upstream. This is essential to
ensure bugs are fixed there, and thus essential to the triage process.
Please keep on improving your bug triaging experience until you can
show real triage work. I know this can be frustrating, especially
since we didn't reply to your application request until very late ;
but please reapply when you have more experience, we will gladly
accept you in this case :)
If you want to improve your bug triaging skills, I recommend you to
join the bugsuad mentorship process as a student: you can read more
about this at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/Mentors.

Thank you,
Mohamed Amine IL Idrissi