Re: Application for Bug Control

Hi Daniel,

I have read your application and would personally be happy to have you in
the Bug Control Team.
You application looks nice, the list of bugs seems ok to me, both the
importances and the statuses, with some small objections related to the last
bug:

> - Uninstallable non-Ubuntu application, due to bad Python programming.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.7/+bug/788771. Set as
> invalid as it is not an Ubuntu-supplied package, if it had been an
> Ubuntu package I would have set importance to medium as "has a severe
> impact in a non-core application" (basically uninstallable). I asked the
> reporter to request help from the application developers, and also
> linked to an upstream bug report indicating that the behavior has been
> fixed in new version of Python. Finally, the analysis I did of the
> behavior might enable the app developers to fix their code so as to
> prevent possible, future bug reports about the same problem.

1. If you look carefully, the bug already contains the TraceBack.txt, which
already contains the exact same stacktrace you've commented in comment 2
2. The stacktrace contains aptdaemon, which might point you to the right
package
( The upstream bug seems unrelated to me, although it has the same error
message, because both of these problems are caused by an OverflowError, the
python issue is about the left shift operator and long value arguments, the
real issue here is caused by an aptdaemon programming error, aptdaemon reads
the Installed-Size value from the deb package's control file, and multiplies
it by 1024, thus resulting in a value too large to hold in an Int32)
Based on the stacktrace, if you look in the aptdaemon package, and search
for parts of the error message, like overflowerror, you might find bug
771678 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptdaemon/+bug/771678)
which has the exact same stacktrace, and lots of duplicates, many of them
reported while installing zumodrive or synergy, so you could tell that it's
a duplicate :)

Thank you for your application, and keep up the good work :)

Regards,
Robert