Re: Application to Bug-control

On 07/17/2011 08:47 AM, Vishnoo wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 12:46 +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> * Vishnoo (vish@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>> I'd like to +1 as well, however I would like to first like to know:
>>> Why is it you hadn't applied for membership earlier
>> I didn't consider that I did the volume of bugs to warrant it;
>> I do a few at a weekend but more when I get a holiday and when I find
>> a bug I'm really interested in go and take to the source and debug
>> it rather than just triage it.

Two points warrant a bit of explanation here:

(1) it is not the volume of triage as much as the quality of triage
that we look for: given that most of us are volunteers, it is
expected that we will have other things to do while we are awake --
work, study, and -- who knows -- even the pursuit of
procrastination. Your triaging shows quality :-)

(2) Nothing prohibits or inhibits triaging being followed by
debugging being followed by the eventual fix. Triaging is the hat we
worry about here; debugging is at the borderline, and fixing is a
*different* hat (that we do not worry about _for triaging_ but is
always extremely welcome).

> OK. I was mainly wondering if there were any blockers in the BC
> application process which kept you from applying.
> Anyways, it would be great to have you in BC, +1
>
>>> what motivated you to apply now?
>> [23:03] <hggdh> penguin42: done. Please do us a favour, and apply for -control ;-)
> Ha! hggdh is evil like that! ;p

Hey, I am not (completely) evil. I just considered Dave more than
qualified... I had told him, some time ago (months? years?) that I
would personally welcome his application, but at this point in time
I guess he was pursuing the procrastination part I refer to above,
at least on the application to Bug Control part. I was just a bit
more direct yesterday ;-)

> Btw, once you get into BC, get in touch with Pedro, he'll let you in on
> the BC secret which we carefully guard from hggdh.. ;-)

<sigh/> Vishnoo -- and Pedro: be prepared to discuss this around
beers next UDS :->

But... back to the point:

+1

Dave should have been in already, and it is time we correct this
anomaly.

Dave: you have more than enough votes to warrant being accepted. We
now have to wait a week for additional comments. Thank you very much
for taking the time to apply, and I am very happy for that.

Cheers,

..C..