Re: Removing myself from ubuntu-bugcontrol and introduction

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 05:03:24PM +0100, Gema Gomez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a new member of the QA team at Canonical and I am trying to learn
> about the whole quality process and bug handling processes. Today I
> realized that there is a but in my netbook, it cannot connect to wifi on
> its own, I need to scan from command line and then the wifi will
> connect, so I wanted to either raise a bug or get one existing bug fixed
> and into Ubuntu. I found the fix but it doesn't seem to have been
> included anywhere yet
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant/+bug/638303),
> so I followed instructions of assigning it to Canonical Foundations,
> which in retrospective doesn't seem to be an optimal choice.

Thanks for taking the time to find this bug and bring it up.  Bugs
should really only be assigned to teams when they are important for
fixing in the release (e.g. those that are High or Critical or a
regression).  Additionally, its really best for teams to assign bugs to
themselves as they are more aware of their work load etc.  However,
there isn't a good way to ask for another team, or person, to look at a
bug so we use assignment.

Back to the bug though - looking at it we can notice a few interesting
things about it.

1) It has a patch in the description but no patch attachment nor is it
tagged patch.  (Attachments can be flagged as patches which are then
searchable in Launchpad.)

2) The ubuntu-sponsors team, which does code review and integration of
patches, is not subscribed to the bug report.  Granted this should only
happen for a bug with a debdiff.

3) The package is sync'ed with debian and there is no record or a bug
watch regarding a debian bug report related to this one.

4) The bug has a bzr branch attached to it but there is not merge
proposal for that branch.

Any one of these things would help move the bug along to getting fixed.

> Apologies for the confusion, I thought that because I am in QA I had to
> have access to this, and as it happens, there is a process in place that
> makes sense for people to learn how to triage properly. I want to go
> through it therefore I am removing myself from the group and will submit
> an application shortly.

While it would be more convenient for you have to just be a member of
Ubuntu Bug Control thee is a community process for joining the team and
it is critical that we follow it.  Thank you for leaving the team and I
look forward to seeing your application.

--
Brian Murray