Re: Application for Bug Control Team - Ahmed Shams(~ashams)

On 28 September 2011 17:01, Gursimran singh <simar.i3r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ahmed,

Hi Gursimran

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Ahmed Shams
>
> Five bug reports which I have triagged and Explanation of my decisions:
>
>> *[1]*=======================
>> *Bug#*: pad.lv/825548
>> *Bug*: Touchpad cursor moves twice as fast horizontally after connecting
>> an external monitor
>> *Decision*: Enhanced title, Requested information and set to 'Incomplete.
>> After investigating files reporter attached, bug 'Confirmed' then forwarded
>> upstream.
>>
>> ***Importance*: 'Medium'
>> *Importance* *Explanation*: Known bug + affects wide range of users of
>> default installation.
>>

> You reported the bug upstream after properly dressing it. The importance
> could have been low to medium depending on how much people is effected (is
> the bug there for all touchpads.). You decided well.

Thanks.
Exactly!, I picked 'Medium' rather than 'Low' because the bug affects a
well-known machine(I estimate) and myself have seen it before on a dell
inspiron, I thought the 2 machines are popular enough to consider it
affecting wide range of users.

>> *[2]*=======================
>> *Bug*#: pad.lv/822144
>> *Bug*: Touchpad with integrated click buttons: right button missing, both
>> mouse buttons act as left
>> *Decision*: Requested information and set to 'Incomplete.  After
>> investigating files reporter attached, bug 'Confirmed' then forwarded
>> upstream.
>> *Decision* *Explanation*: bug lacked documentation, after reporter
>> replied continued triagging.
>>
>> *Importance*: 'High'
>> *Importance* *Explanation*: Severe impact on users of a popular machine.
>>

> Good work. One piece of advice, if its not in your attention that you must
> make sure that bug is not ubuntu centric before moving it upstream.

Would you please explain some more about what is meant by 'Ubuntu Centric'?

> *[5]*=======================
>> *Bug*#: pad.lv/844892
>> *Bug*: No mouse (touchpad & nipple) after installation, usb mouse works
>> (thinkpad t43/p) [oneiric beta-1]
>> *Decision*: Marked to 'Incomplete' then 'Confirmed' in kernel after
>> reporter's response. Not forwarded to Kernel BTS as kernel.org is under
>> maintenance till now!.
>> *Decision* *Explanation*: Xorg doesn't detect device at all, in order to
>> move to kernel(linux) and forward upstream I requested more testing/info to
>> confirm it in kernel. Thanks to the reporter(latrom) the devices file
>> confirmed it.
>>
>> *Importance*: 'High'
>> *Importance* *Explanation*: Causes total inusability in touchpad and even
>> in mouse(see comment#5).
>>

> +1
> The importance high means that the bug effects a lot of people. I hope
> thats true..

Yes, it does not affect many people but it caused some inusability as the
user can't even use a more essential hardware, the usb mouse.

It sounds like you spent much time to review it, Thank you very much :)

--
Regards,
Ahmed