Re: Bug Control Application for bkerensa

On 09/03/12 16:54, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> My name is Benjamin Kerensa and I would like to submit a
> re-application for Bug Control.
>

> Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
> to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>  Yes and of course I have.
>
> Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
> I have read all and do not have questions at this time.
>
> What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
> information.
> If coredump.gz exists look for Stacktrace.txt and
> Threadstacktrace.txt and if you dont find passwords, things that
> look like bank account numbers, CSS keys, user names, server
> names, etc then you can mark it public although keeping it private
> through its life does not hurt.
>
> Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?
> Will help where needed ;)
>
> Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
> include an explanation of your decisions.
>

> [1]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/boinc/+bug/878571
> Desc: BOINC was giving off Bad Url error message and was defective
> in its current state in 64bit nut not 32bit
> I verified the bug and also was the reporter.

> affected a wide range of users and had a severe impact
> on a non-core application.

Agree on importance;  although we do not usually want to see
self-reported bugs, the process was correct.

> [2]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/844535
>
> Desc: Essentially in the latest gnome-control-center they left out
> the ability to switch between proxy profiles and there has been
> other usability
> issus related to this. I assisted by reporting this Known Bug to
> upstream and updating our local bug.

> because to some extent it causes problems but there is a known
> workaround described on AskUbuntu.

Extra points for reporting this bug upstream :-). I agree with Low
instead of Wishlist, even more due to a workaround being available.,
It would be really nice to have this workaround described in the
bug, following  [1].

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description
> [3]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/ubiquity/+bug/830946
>

> Desc: Essentially ubiquity has a embedded terminal window which
> was not displaying the progress of the install and this had been
> reported in other bugs (I acutally reported it once and bdmurray,
> slangasek and I had discussed it at global jam)

> large number of users although it does not cause a major defect
> that would
> inconvenience most users.

I am not sure I see what triaging effort you did there. But I agree
with the Importance.

> [4]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-wallpapers/+bug/296538
>

> Desc: ubuntu-wallpapers has one wallpaper that uses jpg instead of
> png

> affect the end user and is hard to notice as end-user.

Agree with importance -- this is mostly cosmetic. But you did
nothing here as a triager...

> [5]
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/844535
>
> Desc: Essentially gnome-control-center no longer offers proxy
> profiles and has caused some issue in switching

> feature available in 11.04 and was forward upstream and I feel
> wishlist is definitely appropriate in this case since it is not a
> Ubuntu Bug neccesarily.

This is the same bug as described in (2) above (and you are giving
it a different importance).

Notes:

1. Bug Control is the expert triage team. We are looking for people
that are experienced triagers, and *know* triage in Ubuntu (the
processes). Although I am personally grateful that you _also_
proposed fixes, a patch is not triaging...

2. the fact you gave two different importances to the same bug is
not a problem (it can be argued both sides, in this case). It is a
good example, though, on how importance is sometimes difficult to
decide on. It would be a problem if there was a steep gradient
between the two importances (like, say, from Low to High).

Given the above, I am voting

+0

on this application (due to note 1 above).

I suggest you to resubmit your application with five bugs that
really show your triager work.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description