Re: Bug Control Application for bkerensa

On 03/20/2012 08:24 AM, C de-Avillez wrote:
On 09/03/12 16:54, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Benjamin Kerensa and I would like to submit a
re-application for Bug Control.

Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude
to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
  Yes and of course I have.

Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
Bugs/Importance? Do you have any questions about that documentation?
I have read all and do not have questions at this time.

What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
report bug before making it public? See Bugs/HowToTriage for more
information.
If coredump.gz exists look for Stacktrace.txt and
Threadstacktrace.txt and if you dont find passwords, things that
look like bank account numbers, CSS keys, user names, server
names, etc then you can mark it public although keeping it private
through its life does not hurt.

Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
interested in helping out with?
Will help where needed ;)

Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
include an explanation of your decisions.

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/boinc/+bug/878571
Desc: BOINC was giving off Bad Url error message and was defective
in its current state in 64bit nut not 32bit
I verified the bug and also was the reporter.

affected a wide range of users and had a severe impact
on a non-core application.

Agree on importance;  although we do not usually want to see
self-reported bugs, the process was correct.

[2]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/844535

Desc: Essentially in the latest gnome-control-center they left out
the ability to switch between proxy profiles and there has been
other usability
issus related to this. I assisted by reporting this Known Bug to
upstream and updating our local bug.

because to some extent it causes problems but there is a known
workaround described on AskUbuntu.

Extra points for reporting this bug upstream :-). I agree with Low
instead of Wishlist, even more due to a workaround being available.,
It would be really nice to have this workaround described in the
bug, following  [1].

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description
[3]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/ubiquity/+bug/830946

Desc: Essentially ubiquity has a embedded terminal window which
was not displaying the progress of the install and this had been
reported in other bugs (I acutally reported it once and bdmurray,
slangasek and I had discussed it at global jam)

large number of users although it does not cause a major defect
that would
inconvenience most users.

I am not sure I see what triaging effort you did there. But I agree
with the Importance.

[4]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-wallpapers/+bug/296538

Desc: ubuntu-wallpapers has one wallpaper that uses jpg instead of
png

affect the end user and is hard to notice as end-user.

Agree with importance -- this is mostly cosmetic. But you did
nothing here as a triager...

[5]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/844535

Desc: Essentially gnome-control-center no longer offers proxy
profiles and has caused some issue in switching

feature available in 11.04 and was forward upstream and I feel
wishlist is definitely appropriate in this case since it is not a
Ubuntu Bug neccesarily.

This is the same bug as described in (2) above (and you are giving
it a different importance).

Notes:

1. Bug Control is the expert triage team. We are looking for people
that are experienced triagers, and *know* triage in Ubuntu (the
processes). Although I am personally grateful that you _also_
proposed fixes, a patch is not triaging...

2. the fact you gave two different importances to the same bug is
not a problem (it can be argued both sides, in this case). It is a
good example, though, on how importance is sometimes difficult to
decide on. It would be a problem if there was a steep gradient
between the two importances (like, say, from Low to High).

Given the above, I am voting

+0

on this application (due to note 1 above).

I suggest you to resubmit your application with five bugs that
really show your triager work.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Description

Thanks for the consideration and based on your feedback I withdraw my application and will submit when I feel I have five bugs that might
better demonstrate my ability.

--
Benjamin Kerensa                          "I am what I am because of
Team Lead, Ubuntu Oregon                   who we all are." - Ubuntu