Re: Application of Ubuntu bug control

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:38:04 +0530
Vibhav Pant <vibhavp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Vibhat, and thank you for your willingness to help.

>    1. Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are
> rude to you or Ubuntu? Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
>       I have signed the Ubuntu CoC and promise to be polite to
> reporters even if they are rude to us (After all they are making
> Ubuntu Better!)
>
>    1.
>
>    Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>, Bugs/Assignment
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment>,
> Bugs/Status<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status>and Bugs/Importance
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance>? Do you have any questions
> about that documentation?
>
>      Yes, I have read the documentation and have no questions about
> it.
>
>    1.
>
>    What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public? See
> Bugs/HowToTriage<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage>for more
> information.
>
>     Sensitive Data like passwords, bank A/C numbers, encryption keys
> or anything that is not realted to the Application in any way.
>
>     Also the Core File (Coredump.gz) and the Stacktrace file
> (Stacktrace.txt)

Just to complement, in the stacktrace we would be looking for data
values that could be considered private. A stacktrace without variable
resolution is not a problem.

>    1. Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
>    interested in helping out with?
>
>      I like to fix typos, errors in the files in the debian/directory,
> create debian/watch files for programs which dont have any,

er. This is not triaging, this is fixing.

> bugs upstream and bringing upstream changes to Ubuntu
>
>    1.
>
>    Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
> include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs
> should be representative of your very best work and they should
> demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. For *all* the bugs in the list, please indicate
> what importance you would give it *and* explain the reasoning.
> *Please use urls in your list of bugs.*
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/oss4/+bug/858181
> I created a debdiff for an SRU for oneiric which was accepted into
> oneiric-proposed.
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/930985
> Fixed applications quit which was subscribed by dholbach into precise
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mercurial/+bug/889344
> Fixed bash completion with spaces which was sponsored by
> andrewsomething into precise
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/872217
>
> Fixed the disktats plugin, this was sponsored by dholbach into precise
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kupfer/+bug/921829
>
> Fixed kupfer crash which was sponsered by dholbach into precise
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gthumb/+bug/928593
>
> My first uploaded which fixed a missing help page, was sponsored by
> jdstrand into precise. <https://launchpad.net/%7Ejdstrand>
>
> Packages I have synced can be found at
> https://launchpad.net/~vibhavp/+related-software
> I also am a part of the Old Bug cleanup project which aims to close
> old bugs which have been fixed.

I think there is a misunderstanding here: Bug Control is for *triaging*
bugs -- the community team that has people that understand triage in
Ubuntu.

But you did not provide us with any example of triage knowledge. What
you have shown is more applicable to MOTU [1] than triaging: fixing
bugs.

Given that, I am giving you a
+0
right now. I would like you to:

* reapply, showing 5 bugs that demostrate your knowledge of *triaging*.
  Note that you should also discuss what importance you would give the
  bug, and *why* (no matter if the bug already has an importance set or
  not)
* consider applying for MOTU [1]. It seems this is your direction, and
  we need the help there as well.

Cheers,

..C..

p.s.

> Thanks!
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Ejdstrand>

I guess the above was just a typo, not sure what Jamie has to do with
your application.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU