Re: Application to join ubuntu-bugcontrol

On Monday, December 03, 2012 19:06:32 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Hello!

Hello!

<snip/>

> This is the bug list:
>
> * Please port input method function to use im-config
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1076975
>
> This is about exchanging a deprecated package for its successor.
> Considering that the switch fixes bug https://launchpad.net/bugs/875435
> for a large user group in a better way than the im-switch fix that was
> uploaded, I would have given it importance "high".

> * ~/.pam_environment not parsed when HOME is encrypted
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/952185
>
> This is a bug of high importance IMO. Set user locales are ignored
> (severe impact), and it's very difficult for affected users to
> understand why it doesn't work. There is no easy work-around either.

> * Change name for bn-BD from 'Bengali(Bangladesh)' to 'Bangla(Bangladesh)'
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/991002
>
> Intuitively the importance of this bug is low. OTOH, it affects the
> impression that new Bangla speaking users get of Ubuntu, and we are
> talking about a huge group of potential new Ubuntu users (Bangla is one
> of the biggest languages in the world -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers)
> . So maybe I would have set importance "medium".

Frankly I like this "so maybe I would have...". This shows a nice point in
terms of bug importance: we are not *always* sure about what to set it to.
There are some rather fuzzy borderlines... so what we do is we set it to what
sounds like the best fit (to our knowledge); later on we can always adjust as
needed.

But, for bug-controllers, we are expected to mostly get it right ;-).

> * date translated in an English system with Italian localization
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1072019
>
> A cosmetic thing; probably importance "low". (I can't believe that
> upstream is hesitating about whether it is a bug, though.)

> * mail-notification crashes on SSL connections (patch attached)
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1069886
>
> I would have given this importance "medium" ("severe impact on a
> non-core application").

> * Custom regional formats
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1024663
>
> Several issues, really. All of them are of low importance IMO.

> * Language-selector indicates Adept instead of Muon
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1041126
>
> Either the bug is invalid, or its importance low (not enough info yet to
> decide).

> * 'Couldn't install the full language support' for English version of
> Ubuntu Desktop
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1066720
>
> Importance "low", since there is only one person yet who has reported
> this exact issue.

> * check-language-support suggests language-pack-gnome-* for kde apps
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1002418
>
> Invalid bug, so deciding importance isn't applicable.

> * Encrypted HOME should be 'unlocked' at login before calling SetLanguage
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/957431
>
> I don't share the assessment by the package author, i.e. importance
> "low". Even if the user group is limited (the bug affects only 1) users
> with encrypted HOMEs if 2) lightdm-gtk-greeter is in use and 3) the
> language chooser feature of the greeter is enabled), I would have given
> this bug importance "medium" ("moderate impact on a core application").
> You can set the user language via language-selector instead, but not
> everyone realise that.

Agree with all.

Although I can understand the frustration -- it is, after all, only noticed by
people that insist in have the system set to their preferred language, so low
impact ;-) -- it really seems to impact only a minimal subset of users. i18n
aside, not really important. But I would also classify it as medium.

But this is your own bug, so we cannot really look at it as something you
triaged.

But, all in all, my vote is

+1

Thank you for all your help, Gunnar. Please do keel on.

..C..