Re: Application to join ubuntu-bugcontrol

On 2012-12-10 17:35, C de-Avillez wrote:
> On Monday, December 03, 2012 19:06:32 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Hello!
>
> Hello!

Hi again, and thanks for your comments and for supporting my application.

<snip>

>> * Encrypted HOME should be 'unlocked' at login before calling SetLanguage
>> https://launchpad.net/bugs/957431
>>
>> I don't share the assessment by the package author, i.e. importance
>> "low". Even if the user group is limited (the bug affects only 1) users
>> with encrypted HOMEs if 2) lightdm-gtk-greeter is in use and 3) the
>> language chooser feature of the greeter is enabled), I would have given
>> this bug importance "medium" ("moderate impact on a core application").
>> You can set the user language via language-selector instead, but not
>> everyone realise that.
>
> Agree with all.
>
> Although I can understand the frustration -- it is, after all, only noticed by
> people that insist in have the system set to their preferred language, so low
> impact ;-) -- it really seems to impact only a minimal subset of users. i18n
> aside, not really important. But I would also classify it as medium.
>
> But this is your own bug, so we cannot really look at it as something you
> triaged.

That's true; I'm certainly biased here.

As I mentioned, my main focus is i18n related bugs. It would be
interesting to really know the size of the group of users who want to
set a preferred language. Maybe it's larger than you think. ;-)  Also,
personally I believe that its relative size is increasing, since Ubuntu
probably expands more in countries where English is not the native language.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj