Application to join ubuntu-bugcontrol

Hello!

I'd like to become a member of the "Ubuntu Bug Control” team.

> Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu?

Yes.

> Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

Yes.

> Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage, Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and
> Bugs/Importance?

Yes.

> Do you have any questions about that documentation?

Not at this time. Those docs seem to be pretty complete.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage#Apport_crash_reports

> Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?

So far I have mostly worked with various kinds of i18n related bugs,
which has involved packages such as language-selector, accountsservice
and gnome-control-center (and quite a few other). I think that will be
my main focus also in the foreseeable future.

> Please list five or more bug reports which you have triaged and
> include an explanation of your decisions. Please note that these bugs
> should be representative of your very best work and they should
> demonstrate your understanding of the triage process and how to
> properly handle bugs. For all the bugs in the list, please indicate
> what importance you would give it and explain the reasoning. Please
> use urls in your list of bugs.

Generally I hope and believe that my decisions have been sufficiently
explained in bug comments.

This is the bug list:

* Please port input method function to use im-config
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1076975

This is about exchanging a deprecated package for its successor.
Considering that the switch fixes bug https://launchpad.net/bugs/875435
for a large user group in a better way than the im-switch fix that was
uploaded, I would have given it importance "high".

* ~/.pam_environment not parsed when HOME is encrypted
https://launchpad.net/bugs/952185

This is a bug of high importance IMO. Set user locales are ignored
(severe impact), and it's very difficult for affected users to
understand why it doesn't work. There is no easy work-around either.

* Change name for bn-BD from 'Bengali(Bangladesh)' to 'Bangla(Bangladesh)'
https://launchpad.net/bugs/991002

Intuitively the importance of this bug is low. OTOH, it affects the
impression that new Bangla speaking users get of Ubuntu, and we are
talking about a huge group of potential new Ubuntu users (Bangla is one
of the biggest languages in the world -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers).
So maybe I would have set importance "medium".

* date translated in an English system with Italian localization
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1072019

A cosmetic thing; probably importance "low". (I can't believe that
upstream is hesitating about whether it is a bug, though.)

* mail-notification crashes on SSL connections (patch attached)
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1069886

I would have given this importance "medium" ("severe impact on a
non-core application").

* Custom regional formats
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1024663

Several issues, really. All of them are of low importance IMO.

* Language-selector indicates Adept instead of Muon
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1041126

Either the bug is invalid, or its importance low (not enough info yet to
decide).

* 'Couldn't install the full language support' for English version of
Ubuntu Desktop
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1066720

Importance "low", since there is only one person yet who has reported
this exact issue.

* check-language-support suggests language-pack-gnome-* for kde apps
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1002418

Invalid bug, so deciding importance isn't applicable.

* Encrypted HOME should be 'unlocked' at login before calling SetLanguage
https://launchpad.net/bugs/957431

I don't share the assessment by the package author, i.e. importance
"low". Even if the user group is limited (the bug affects only 1) users
with encrypted HOMEs if 2) lightdm-gtk-greeter is in use and 3) the
language chooser feature of the greeter is enabled), I would have given
this bug importance "medium" ("moderate impact on a core application").
You can set the user language via language-selector instead, but not
everyone realise that.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj