Re: Christopher Penalver (penalvch) Destroying My Work (Again)

On 06/12/2014 08:15 PM, Christopher M. Penalver wrote:
This is because all the bugs you are marking duplicates of 1327220 aren't using Lucid Server, but Lucid Desktop, which is EoL as of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases . As a member of Ubuntu Bug Control you should have already been keenly aware of this link. However, if there has been a change in the End of Life for Lucid Desktop I've not been made aware of, I'll be more than happy to reverse the Status and triage appropriately.
Yes, I'm aware of it. In fact, I've closed bugs as incomplete/obsolete because they were filed against a non-server package in Lucid. That does not change my stance on this matter... BTW, were you keenly aware that Lucid Server and its packages (including kernel) are supported until 2015? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

However, the users are in a dangerous position as already
e-mailed to you by Steve Langasek (Canonical) in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014/comments/13
, which would support my initial Status as noted earlier to you in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014/comments/8
that you decided to override.

First, I did not override your Won't Fix status. I marked the bugs duplicate of the correct bug (which is actually tagged Invalid for all releases except Lucid) that dealt with the regression causing the issues. Next, you should read Steve Langasek's comment again: "Any desktop-affecting regressions in the kernel security update are certainly unintentional, but if they only affect no-longer-supported desktop packages, it is not a critical regression." ^Well, that's a pretty lousy policy IMO, but bug 1327300, which was filed by John Johansen (Canonical), determines that the regression affects the kernel itself and is critical, so Langasek's reasoning does not apply and those bugs are duplicates.

The distinction between Server/Desktop is pretty blurry (users who installed Desktop may have repurposed their install as a Server or vice-verse). Lucid Desktop is indeed EOL, but it is the users' decision whether they want to continue running it. I am not saying that those users should expect updates/support. I am saying that if Canonical is still going to push updates to those users, they need to be responsible when those updates break things instead of just saying, "Nope. EOL!" In other words, don't pee on the users' legs and tell them it's raining...

As well, I sent you a personal e-mail
about this to settle it one-on-one, but you wanted to be splashy and
bring your mistakes out into wider preview.
I posted this before your e-mail because I want other Bug Control members to settle the matter. If I got too personal in the initial post, I apologize. I just wanted to make clear why I was posting this to the list rather than trying to debate one-on-one.

Based on the above and the bit of input received from other bug control members, I have once again marked the bugs as duplicates. It is not to "override" you, but so the users can see the cause of and resolution to their issue. DO NOT undo my work again.
**Thank you for understanding**