Re: Christopher Penalver (penalvch) Destroying My Work (Again)

Daniel Letzeisen, thanks for your e-mail, and your trying to help with
triaging linux (Ubuntu) bugs. Regarding your comments:

>" About a week ago, Ubuntu released kernel 2.6.32-61 for Lucid/10.04 Server as a security fix to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1326367 Unfortunately, the fix caused a regression, which is correctly documented and tagged by an Ubuntu dev here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327300 The regression caused a variety of symptoms such as hanging and loss of sound (there are a couple other bugs, but I don't have the link at the moment): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327220 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1328360 Christopher Penalver quickly marked those bugs as "Won't Fix" and said Lucid Desktop wasn't supported anymore (even though the kernel is part of the Server package and an update had just been pushed)."

This is because all the bugs you are marking duplicates of 1327220
aren't using Lucid Server, but Lucid Desktop, which is EoL as of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases . As a member of Ubuntu Bug Control
you should have already been keenly aware of this link. However, if
there has been a change in the End of Life for Lucid Desktop I've not
been made aware of, I'll be more than happy to reverse the Status and
triage appropriately.

>"Worse, when I tried to mark those bugs as a duplicate of 1327300, he removed my duplicate links (twice), because he was worried it might prove his flimsy excuse to close the bugs as wrong."

Please leave the conjecture off this mailing list.

"The users deserve to know that their problems are caused by the
recent kernel update, and that a fixed kernel is in the lucid-proposed
repo."

Agreed. However, the users are in a dangerous position as already
e-mailed to you by Steve Langasek (Canonical) in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014/comments/13
, which would support my initial Status as noted earlier to you in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014/comments/8
that you decided to override. As well, I sent you a personal e-mail
about this to settle it one-on-one, but you wanted to be splashy and
bring your mistakes out into wider preview.

>"This is not the first time this individual has engaged in an "edit war" with me."

I've got better things to do then "edit war" with anyone.

"The last time, he blatantly lied..."

Again, more conjecture.

>""...and claimed I was "spamming"..."

Many would consider this rant you are on spamming.

>"...and since the Launchpad admins didn't even look into it, they just took his word and suspended my account (for restoring my original work which he had undone)."

Unfortunately, back then you were citing Wikipedia as fact on
Launchpad (which is bad enough) but the information you were citing
was wrong factually, and misleading the Ubuntu Community. I advised
you of this, you blew me off, rudely reversed my comments, and I
reported it to the correct group, who dealt with it appropriately.

>"I am not even going to try to reason with penalvch, as he will never admit he's wrong."

Even more conjecture. As noted above, if we have changed the Lucid
Desktop support structure, I'll revert any bugs marked as a duplicate
of 1327300 New and see they are triaged appropriately.

As a member of Ubuntu Bug Control, I'm disappointed in the lack of
good judgment you are displaying here, and flagrant disregard for the
policies set out by the Ubuntu Bug Control, and Ubuntu Kernel Team,
whose bugs you are triaging. You were given membership to Ubuntu Bug
Control to represent the very best that Ubuntu has to offer in clarity
of thought, technical skill, and understanding. While everyone
stumbles, this would not be the best you have to offer by any means.

I do hope you continue to strive for success, and represent yourself
as a member of the Ubuntu Community, and Ubuntu Bug Control with
integrity going forward.

Thanks for your understanding Daniel,

Christopher M. Penalver
E-Mail: christopher.m.penalver@xxxxxxxxx