Re: Christopher Penalver (penalvch) Destroying My Work (Again)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 01:31:43PM -0400, Daniel Letzeisen wrote:
> About a week ago, Ubuntu released kernel 2.6.32-61 for Lucid/10.04
> Server as a security fix to this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1326367
>
> Unfortunately, the fix caused a regression, which is correctly
> documented and tagged by an Ubuntu dev here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327300
>
> The regression caused a variety of symptoms such as hanging and loss
> of sound (there are a couple other bugs, but I don't have the link
> at the moment):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327220
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1327014
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1328360
>
> Christopher Penalver quickly marked those bugs as "Won't Fix" and
> said Lucid Desktop wasn't supported anymore (even though the kernel
> is part of the Server package and an update had just been pushed).

Package updates are available to a system regardless of whether they are
a "Desktop" or a "Server", there is no logic in the package managers to
determine what type of installation the system is nor to restrict the
installation of packages based on that. So while support for the 10.04
for "Desktop" systems has ended, the kernel which is available on both
the "Desktop" and "Server" systems is supported. Subsequently, if the
bug is in fact with the kernel then it is still valid and likely should
be marked as a duplicate.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master