Re: Why not triaging confirmed bugs instead of new ones?

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 01:19:33AM +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2014-07-19 00:53, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> > In the triage guide (http://tinyurl.com/kz4netu) there's a list for
> > suggested bugs for being triaged, which basically is one of reports
> > being untouched and not confirmed.
> >
> > Although confirming bugs could be taken into consideration, for triaging
> > wouldn't it be better to suggest confirmed bugs instead?
>
> Considering that a bug gets "confirmed" as soon as somebody besides the
> bug reporter states that it affects him/her, I think that confirmed bugs
> should always be included when looking for untouched bugs. Guess that
> page ought to be edited.
>
> > Also it seems to me that shorting bugs with higher heat rather than with
> > higher importance could be a good idea for triaging,
>
> If importance has been set, the bug has already been triaged, hasn't it?

For a bug task to have completed the triaging process it should have a
state of Triaged and have the bug importance set.

> But indeed the bug heat can serve as an importance indicator of
> untriaged bug reports.

Bug heat can be a useful mechanism for sorting any list of bug tasks as
it should provide some indication of the number of people affected by
the bug since it looks at the number of duplicates, users affected, and
subscribers to the bug report.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master