Re: Canonical Support team BugControl Application

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:42:11 -0400
Chris Johnston <chrisjohnston@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Bug Control,
>
> I would like to apply for bug control membership for the Canonical
> Support [1] team. The Canonical Support team is responsible for
> providing support for Ubuntu Advantage customers. The team is a
> restricted Canonical team.
>
> The reason we would like to join bug control is to have access to bugs
> which we currently do not have access to in order to better support
> our customers by gaining access to other reports which may assist us
> in debugging issues as well as obtaining workarounds for issues that
> have already been reported. We would like to be able to access the
> private crash reports in Launchpad because our customers are often
> reluctant to send the reports to Launchpad or the Error tracker when
> they have a crash. The support team will participate much less in the
> role of assigning importances to bugs and more of triaging,
> reproducing, and debugging issues which arise for our customers.
>
> We have no specific set of packages that we will be working with,
> just what comes to us from our customers.
>
> I [2] will serve as the initial representative between the support
> team and bug control. There is also interest from others in the team
> in becoming full bug control members (and not just by being part of
> the support team).
>
> The support team being added to bug control will increase the level of
> service that we are able to provide to our customers making a better
> experience for all involved..
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~canonical-support
>
> [2] https://launchpad.net/~cjohnston
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I see no problems with adding Canonical Support to the Bug Control team.
This is permissible under our rules, and the requirement for a current
Bug Control member to be assigned to monitor activities of the team is
satisfied with Chris himself.

Additionally, the net result of having a professional support team as
bug controllers should be positive.

I personally like the fact that other team mates are willing to apply
(in time) to Bug Control themselves (but it has no bearing here).

Nevertheless I must warn that Canonical Support may (and certainly
will) have different rules on how to triage a bug. Care should be taken
not to mix these rules with the Ubuntu ones.

As such,

+1.

Cheers,

..C..