Re: Should bug 1451789 be closed?

On 05/13/2015 12:42 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Alberto Salvia Novella (es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> Alberto Salvia Novella:
>>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1451789>
>> Thomas Ward:
>>> Reality?  We don't.  I don't think we actually have an 'upstream' here,
>>> and we're limited in what we can actually do.
>> That's what I meant: having the bug there does nothing for us.
> It helps to dupe when the next person reports it; also you never
> know, someone might find a friendly broadcom rep.

This.  We can't just 'close' bugs that sit there.  In fact, if you go a
little wider and look at some Universe packages, we have bugs in those
packages that exist from Jaunty still, and remain open because the
issues still impact the package, even if upstreams no longer regularly
maintain things.  Do we just "Won't Fix" the bugs there, too?  I don't
think we do.

Ideally, we may be lucky, and people at Dell or Canonical (the last
people I saw in the changelog for the package) may be able to contact
Broadcom and do any work towards getting patches available.  We cannot
just "Won't Fix" a bug if we can't reach an upstream.

Thomas