Re: Please let Bug Control members be able to configure bug trackers

Le 2015-10-01 09:56, Alan Pope a écrit :
> On 1 October 2015 at 12:31, Alberto Salvia Novella
> <es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Alan Pope:
>>> Shouldn't that be up to the developers of the projects concerned?
>>
>> Many projects are registered by Launchpad users themselves and delegated to
>> the Launchpad Registry Administrators, not the original software developers.

And that is fine -- we don't want bugcontrol, or anyone *NOT* actually
being the upstream developers to own the project, as it could quickly
confuse people as to what the real upstream might be.

> That's a project _you_ created?
>
> Why did you make it? Owncloud is developed and maintained outside of
> launchpad (in github), what possible reason is there to have a
> launchpad project for it. Seems to cause more confusion than it helps.

That is fine. It can be useful to be able to link to an upstream
bugtracker; or to keep code somewhere even if it's maintained elsewhere
than github (for instance, have mirroring of the git tree, and preparing
daily builds). I realize this may not be as useful for owncloud-client
though.

[...]

> For upstream bugs, use the upstream bug tracker, and link to them to
> the launchpad bug (if one exists).

My understanding was that you needed the project to be registered at all
to be able to link an upstream bug -- that doesn't mean that the
bugtracker for the project needs to be set (it most certainly does not).

If it wasn't already clear from my response: Alberto's request is
unnecessary, and would be a *bad* thing to do -- so -1 from me as well.

However, the process of registering the project is fine, but it's also
fine for it to be owned by Launchpad Registry. It doesn't need any
bugtracker set (and setting one would be confusing, and upstream
developers would not get the bugs unless they explicitly went on LP).

--
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx